Wednesday, October 13, 2010

From the Desk of a Liberally Conservative Democratic Republican.

Are you going liberal?

Sure.

That's the answer I give every time. Personally, I think such an observation is based on perspective, because it depends on the angle from which you're observing me.

But in our [Pentecostal] movement, it is my general assumption that venturing beyond the thirty-eighth verse of the second chapter of Acts makes you a flaming, tree-hugging liberal. So if that's the case, then yes, paint me liberal.

I believe a quick disclaimer is in order: I still believe in the plan of salvation found in Acts 2:38, which entails that baptism by immersion and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost through the evidence of speaking in other tongues are essential to salvation.

But since when has that become the only Scripture in the Bible? Because every time we witness or talk to somebody about our beliefs, we slam them with that one Scripture over and over until they eventually concede and come to church, where we preach apocalyptic messages that make a second visit highly unlikely.

I'm not saying dilute the message. I'm asking that the people that have accused me of doing so follow their own advice and preach what the rest of the Bible says.

Because, and this may come as a surprise, there is more beyond Acts and Revelation. In fact, along with the strong message of coming events (which I hold in very high esteem), there is a message of a loving Saviour who paid for our transgressions so we wouldn't have to. And with a world filled with hurting people, this is a message they need to hear. Because before they can fully grasp the coming events, they need to know that perfection isn't demanded, which is the vibe Pentecostalism gives off.

So are ya liberal? Sure. Free-lovin' hippie? Okay. Post-modern Democrat? (which apparently is a grave insult) Why not?

All I know is that before Peter got up on the Day of Pentecost, there was a God who gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believed in Him would not perish, but have eternal life.

Peter wasn't exempt from this. As a matter of fact, Peter was just as bad as us. But God looked past that and used him, just like He can use us, imperfections and all. I guess what I'm getting at is that we need to remember that it's God's will we follow, not Peter's.

Peter preached an incredible message and it is something we should remember and apply in our lives, but with all due respect, I worship God. Not Peter.

1 comment:

Trellus said...

I always thought the Acts 2:38 "plan of salvation" was a queer phrase that might better be termed "recipe for UPC acceptance"; if you follow the recipe, you are "in", and otherwise, you are "out."

The curious thing is that Christianity is presumably a religion whose adherents follow Christ, and Jesus never taught the Acts 2:38 recipe. There are lot of things he DID teach, particularly in Matthew chapters 5 through 7, which he ends with his admonition that people put his words into action. This seems to me to be the true gospel of Christ.